Thursday, March 17, 2011

Technology is ruining my life

Ok, this is going to be honest... really were you expecting any less from me =) It might sound like a little bit of a rant, a personal rant but none the less it needs to be said.  FACEBOOK IS TAKING OVER MY LIFE.   there I said it.  Judge me all you want, but I'm just being honest.  I feel like a drug addict, only my drug of choice is in the form of a 21 inch apple.  Sneaking off to check if someone wants to communicate with me, comment on a picture,  showing some interest in something I have to say, or something I have done.  BAD KELSEY< BAD BAD BAD.  The problem is this, dangle the temptation in front of someone and there is no way to resist.  keep the cookies in the cupboard and you will eat one.. or 5 if you are me =)  The point is our computer has found a nice cozy spot in the middle of our living room, staring at me all day, tempting me... come.. closer... just for a minute.... I have something to tell you......... then BLAMO!  I waste another 5..10.. 15 minutes of my day.  Ughhh I gross myself out.  I feel like a bad mom.  Don't get me wrong, its not like I am neglecting my kids, more like their rooms lol... I do a relatively good job of keeping my house under control but the bedrooms could use a little work.  Maybe its because they feel like dungeons.  Even though I tried to decorate Gabby's room light and girly, it still seems to make me feel claustrophobic.  It's one of those rooms that you walk in and look around and don't know where to begin.  Kid's have so much stuff!!!! and Believe me, my kids don't even have much stuff but already its too much.   Especially after christmas and 2 birthdays... there is stuff everywhere. OH and laundry.. my dreaded nemesis.  I don't mind the "act" of doing laundry, smelling the fresh soap, adding a little downy, even folding, I turn a little Ellen on and get my fold on.  Its the dreaded putting away that I cannot bring myself to do.  This is the issue... Ok time out.... This will all come together in a minute, I know you are thinking, I thought we were talking about facebook?... we are getting there lol.   So back to the dreaded laundry basket overflowing with little socks onsies and girly odds and ends, enter into the dungeon... this task would probably take me 3.5 minutes, but instead I waste my 3.5 minutes creeping on facebook... LAME.  This is where I feel like a bad mom.  I know everyone has a place in their home that when someone shows up at their house they quickly sweep the area and throw things into that "drawer" or "closet" or in my case Laylas room lol.  poor babe, living like a hoarder amongst her clothes, diapers, toys, princess tent.  Too bad she didn't ask for any of it, well she did ask for the diapers =) OK, now the question is... How to stop.  Facebook seems to be the only way to communicate lol... well especially for someone like me that is a bit socially awkward...  AWKWARD? you think to yourself? Mrs outspoken?... yes awkward. Not always, not if you really know me, but I am definitely not a talk on the phone person, So I need to come up with a way to monitor the time on facebook, really if I am being honest, it's not a long period of time that I am on the computer it's just that its right there in front of me, so 1-5 minutes every hour is a lot from 7 in the morning till 10 at night adds up. I could definitely put away a few loads of laundry =) Thoughts? Suggestions? Believe me, I have thought about moving the computer, but if you have been in my house you will quickly realize why it is where it is.  We live in .. let's just call it.. close quarters =) 

1 comment:

  1. hey Kels!! How are things?? I just wanted to tell you that I love this post!! I too have found myself feeling guilty if I wattch a show or go on facebook when there are other things I could and maybe SHOULD be doing. However you and I both know we have very hard jobs. Our job starts as soon as we wake. Or let me rephrase that, as soon as "THEY" wake and we are going till they decide we are done. Even at bedtime for the kids this is when I get alot of stuff done. So I think that there is a happy medium here. Yo go on facebook because you enjoy it. As do I. In a sence it's our way to stay up to date with what's going on out there!! If your kids are fed and have lots of love and attention then what's the big deal? Society has painted a perfect little picture of a MOM through reality t.v. and talk shows. We actually believe that's how it is and should be!! My oldest is in Grade 1 and I have to say it is sick. It is like Moms have to compete. I really have to warn you of this hehe. Once the kids start going to school. Mom's compete on who can deliver the best cupcakes to the school for there childs birthday. Who has the best stroller. Who has there kids in the most and best after school activities. They don't actually say they are compeating but THEY ARE!! Sometimes I find myself getting caught up in it EWWWWW! But let's be honest I am not perfect my house get's messy. Sometimes I order in cause I don't feel like cooking, and sometimes I feel like burrying my nose in my computer and going on facebook!! At the end of the day though. My kids are LOVED SOOOOO MUCH!! My house is pretty clean and I am HAPPY!! So girl slow down and never feel guilty for taking a little time for you!! You still are important. Your kids came into your life but they can't have the WHOLE thing : ) Tami

    ReplyDelete