Thursday, May 13, 2010

making the best of it


After 5 years of marriage I have begun to learn a valuable lesson. You see there is this old saying that I am sure you are familiar with "opposites attract." Now in our case this was not true to begin with, Dave and I had the same interests in music, sports, and many other things. Now as we all know people grow up, views change, interests change, kids happen and you can't always do or think the same way that you did when you were a teenager. Now to get to the lesson! We have been finding that as we have gotten older our priorities and personalities have changed, therefor affecting the way we make decisions and go about our everyday life. David and I make decisions very differently, neither way is better than the other they are just vastly different, to be honest I was beginning to think... Is this going to be a problem? However with a lot of thought and some encouragement from my dear husband I have realized that even though we have grown into somewhat different people than when we first met 8 years ago, we still compliment each other, it's just in a different way. Here is the lesson, Opposites do work, it's knowing how to make them work that is the tricky part. We have learned that instead of each being entitled to "our own opinion" and using only ones idea, we rather need to scramble our ideas together to make an EVEN BETTER IDEA, (as if our original wasn't awesome enough)=) Now this doesn't come easy, it takes much discussion and debate and serious PATIENCE usually on my part =)
I have been battling with this feeling of separation for a while, not feeling good enough for my husband, not smart enough, not interesting enough and definitely not exciting enough(anymore =) ) Worried that he would want to subconsciously fill this lame wife role with someone "more like him" someone that thought like him and was a dreamer like him. However I was brought back out of pityville with three little words.... "I need YOU" ...... OF COURSE YOU NEED ME!!! what the heck was I thinking!!!! it's amazing the power of the mind when you are feeling down about yourself and possibly about your circumstance, where your mind goes, and you are ever so willing to follow it. Jeepers I am ashamed to even have thought that Dave could have found someone better than ME!!!!! lol ok maybe I am a little conceded now, but let me explain. I believe with all my heart that God brought David and I together for a reason, we are meant to be. We cannot be naive and think that we will be the same people when we are 30, 50, 80 and let me tell you I plan on still being married to the same man that stole my heart so many years ago when I am 80, So we need to learn to adapt our marriages as we grow, to compliment our changing personalities. Find new interests that can be enjoyed together, and ultimately a new and deeper love for one another as you overcome hurdles together. *deep breath* now I feel better. I am not saying that my marriage is perfect, I just thought I would share a little tidbit of insight that we have learnt as of late =) I love my husband, my children and I am learning to love myself the way I am. I believe I am the way God intends me to be and I do not need to try to be who I THINK Dave needs me to be. He needs me to be me and nothing else. ok... I'm done ranting and raving now =) feel free to carry on with your day !! Thanks for stopping by

2 comments:

  1. I love your heart Kelsey...sigh...tears....I love you both so much...you are both totally awesome!!....I am really beginning to "LOVE" Tuesdays!!....hugs...Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mister and I used to be a lot more alike than we are today... he used to be much more outgoing, and has turned into quite the academic. I am still the extrovert of extroverts and there is no way I will pick up a piece of acadamia unless I have a gun to my head (so I guess, I've stayed the same and he's changed. haha) But I balance him out. I have insights that he doesn't have. We still have things to talk about. Sometimes it's a stretching experience for me to talk about things on his level (did you cacophany is a word? He uses it in regular convo), but I do have somethign valuable to add. I know that your husband doesn't just need you, he LOVES you. And it's true that when you are feeling down on yourself (especially with post partum hormones and sleep deprivation working against you) you can't see how anyone could possibly love you. Opposites aren't bad.

    You know, I watched a movie last night about a wedding. There was a scene where the mother of the bride cut into the dance between the bride and her father. As she stepped into the arms of her ex-husband, I was struck by a thought...if they hadn't divorced, if they had stuck it out through their differences, annoyances, hurts, and "oppositeness", what a richness there would be in them as a couple. There is a newness and excitment to a couple that is beginning their life together, so fresh after their vows. Seeing this couple, weathered by the years with a history behind them that they had also weathered... it was so sacred. I love that you mention that you plan on being married to the man that stole your heart so many years ago when you are 80. A richness.

    Your family is so blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete